- PAPD: Man fired shots at his sister
- When Panera Bread in Beaumont expected to open
- Naked Beaumont man running over roofs of cars on I-10
- Man from Orange died from flu, prompts entire family to get vaccinated
- Officers searching for Beaumont residents, police say, stole 17 laptops from Jasper Walmart
- Five-year-old run over twice home recovering
- Jefferson County adopts tax rate and gives workers a raise
- Man jumps into water, body found one day later
- Man in Chambers County jail following shooting
- Lumberton police investigate stabbing
- Alaska TV reporter quits on air to promote pot; also drops F-bomb on air
- Jasper PD: Man could face intoxicated assault charge after driving over 5-year-old twice
- Everthing But The House website
- Cool weather in the 50's and 60's on its way
- PAISD Citizens Bond Committee to host town hall meetings
- Watch the candidates for Governor in the televised debate
- Long store lines for the iPhone 6
- BISD names Reggie Bozeman lead officer for police department in wake of chief's termination
- Driver flees police at 100 mph, stopped in Port Neches
- Port Arthur Town Hall meeting dates and locations
- It's raining so hard in Houston they are rescuing armadillos
- BISD board decides to part ways with BISD police chief Clydell Duncan
- Did your father do this as he walked you down the aisle?
- ComingFlash Flood Warning for parts of Houston area and surrounding counties
- Community reacts to McCraney and Allison sentencing
- Watch first Texas gubernatorial debate at 6 p.m. Friday on fox4beaumont.com -- between Greg Abbott and Wendy Davis
- BISD former employees McCraney and Allison sentenced to years in prison
- BPD ask for help finding fourth suspect in social media sexual assault case
- Flooding could force local tenants to relocate
- U.S. Attorney issues statement about Allison/McCraney, former BISD finance officials
- Beaumont Federal Inmate Sentenced for Deadly Assault
- DPS: driver killed in three-vehicle Newton County crash
- AAA Texas: Gas Price Average Falls Again Saving Drivers Money on Fall Road Trips
- Man pleads guilty to child porn
- Gunman robs Family Dollar
- PAPD: Burglar enters store through roof
- BISD Superintendent meets with Beaumont police chief about fate of BISD police force
- BPD make another arrest in backdoor dot com case
- Former Dallas Cowboys player helps with local United Way campaign
- Part of "improper photography" law found unconstitutional
- Local residents upset about speeding drivers
- Immigrants become U.S. citizens during Beaumont naturization ceremony
- Rain chances remain high next two days
- Triangle Area Network story includes Fox 4 studio interview with Nurse practitioner Kristy Blackwell
- Beaumont Police Chief, City Attorney seen leaving BISD administration building
- Texas court throws out improper photography law
- Drug team seizes cocaine from driver on I-10 in Louisiana
- Alcohol linked to death of Texas Tech freshman
- Naturalization ceremony: 15 men and women become American citizens
- Man uses blade on 10-month-old daughter
- Vikings reverse course, make Peterson stay away from team
- Ask the Attorney: Sept. 17, 2014
- Should Texas become its own country?
- Peace officer academy offers veterans a new career
- BPD undercover sting update
- Crimestoppers asking for your help to catch burglar
- Woman assaulted after meeting suspects online
- Grant will help homeless HIV patients get treatment
- The price of gas at some stations drops below $3 gallon
- Lindbergh Bridge reopens
- Beaumont man drove to fire station to report house on fire
- Vehicle plows into a Nederland home, injuring a woman
- Find the lowest gas prices in your area
- History books spark latest Texas classroom battle
- Worker charged with pizza tampering
- 60% chance of rain next three days
- NFL headlines help raise awareness locally about domestic violence
- Fires leave two families without homes
- BPD: Woman stabs man in disturbance between two homeless people
- Vehicle plows into a Nederland home, injuring a woman
- West Orange Cove school bus lands in ditch
- Orange County puts freeze on capital spending
- Vacant building collapses, once a popular club
- New information about fire that destroyed Sour Lake home
- Texas insurance commissioner allows top home insurers to impose rate hikes
- Do you recognize man who police say bit a female restaurant worker over a burrito
- Fire leaves Pinehurst woman without a home and pet
- Authorities: Dog attacks local woman
- BPD make arrests in undercover sex sting
- Attorney for Naomi Lawrence-Lee speaks to Fox 4 News
- Booking photo of former BISD purchasing director after surrendering
- Former BISD purchasing director turns herself in and posts bond
- 18-wheeler spills fuel on road following crash
- Local teen dies in motorcycle crash along a canal
- Man bites woman after dispute over a burrito
- Local community remembers fallen Houston firefighters
- Murder conviction leads to life sentence without parole
- Beaumont man suspected of murdering another man turns himself in
- Local sheriff's office now has Top 10 Most Wanted List
- Advisory lifted for McFaddin Beach
- Three men charged in Nederland home invasion robbery; photos released
- D.A.: BPD officer cleared in shooting death of Stanley Leger
- Retired Beaumont teachers could lose health insurance
- A Beaumont woman is dead following a crash
- New BISD superintendent addresses community's concerns
- Repairs begin on Beaumont bridge
- Closing arguments Thursday in Beaumont capital murder trial
- Local judge dismisses order to revoke Jessie Haynes' probation
- Authorities release name of driver killed in I-10 crash involving 18-wheeler
- Sales tax revenue down year-to-date in Jefferson County, Beaumont, Port Arthur
- Family urges community to come forward with information following murder
- Dr. Chargois not among two finalists for chancellor of state-run district in Detroit
- Ask the Attorney: Sept. 10, 2014
- New video surfaces of former Baltimore Ravens player Ray Price punching his then-fiancee
- Fellow veteran steps up to help WW II veteran who says he was victim of scam
- Dr. Chargois finalist for chancellor of state-run EAA school district in Detroit
- Jasper student Ali Najera's birthday wish came true
- Families hope drug arrests improve neighborhood
- McFaddin Beach health warning
- What you need to know about the enterovirus
- Murder suspect surrenders
- BISD cuts ties with Jessie Haynes
- September 18 sentencing set for former BISD employees McCraney and Allison
- Port Arthur police using body cameras
- Copper thieves hit Salvation Army in Beaumont again
- Update: Power restored to thousands of Entergy customers in Beaumont area
- Fire at substation causes outage affecting more than 4,000 Entergy customers in Beaumont area
- Police believe members of organized crime syndicate broke into a Jasper lumber yard
- Warrant issued for murder suspect
- Motorcycle accident kills man near Silsbee
- Ali's birthday wish
- Baltimore Ravens cut player Ray Price after violent video surfaces
- High Island football player released from hospital
- Firefighters square off in fire truck pull
- UPDATE: Police release name and photo of Beaumont man shot and killed
- Undercover sting targets men seeking sex with other men in parks
- Police: Thieves steal 17 computers from Walmart
- State gives BISD failing rating for financial accountability
- Sip coffee with BISD's new leader
- Men charged in Nederland home invasion
- Beaumont man gunned down dies
- Hurricane Season far from over; what you need to know
- Vidor police make meth arrests
- Tyler County well still spewing natural gas
- Police release new information on Nederland home invasion
- Jasper police test body cameras
- Community rallies behind injured football player
- Nederland police release names of home invasion victims
- Police pursuit ends in driver's crash, arrest
- Jasper Police testing body cameras
- Jasper Police now issuing auto burglary report cards
- Average gasoline price in Beaumont lowest in Texas
- UPDATE: Name released of Silsbee young man who died following crash
- Nederland couple attacked, bound up during home invasion robbery
- Local police cadets receive scholarships in honor of fallen officer
- Meals on Wheels program intends to grow its own garden
- CVS removes tobacco products
- New group hopes to revitalize downtown Silsbee
- Family and friends remember a legendary football official
- DPS releases victims' names in fatal crash in Orange County
- Ask the Attorney: Sept. 3, 2014
- Investigators working major crash in Hardin County
- Deputy Chief with BFD receives minor injuries when driver rear-ends city vehicle
- Jasper police trying to identify man who may be from Beaumont area
- A person killed in I-10 crash in Orange County
- Driver killed in I-10 crash in Calcasieu Parish
- Copper thieves hit Salvation Army
- WW II veteran and niece say they were misled in deal that left them without RV and repair work to home
- Former Crystal Beach fire chief booked and released following indictments
- What is the cloud?
- Fire heavily damages Beaumont home
- Sheriff's office working to prevent school bus accidents
- Crimestoppers asking for your help to locate a gunman in a fatal Beaumont shooting Sunday
- Man killed in ATV accident in Newton County
- Oil and gas well blowout in Tyler County
- BISD axe bus transportation for after school activities
- BPD: Working to identify person of interest in fatal shooting
- Justin Hinton takes on cold water bucket challenge
- Pinehurst doctor at center of federal investigation no longer able to work
- What SE Texans found at beach on Labor Day
- PAPD: Police catch man who robbed woman of purse at Twin City Walmart
- Kraft recalls American Singles
- Tropical depression forms in the Gulf
- Driver crashes into Beaumont church
- Beaumont police release name of shooting victim
- Reaction after former Crystal Beach fire chief David Loop indicted
- More families moving to Orangefield; learn why
- State Comptroller has seized Finch Hutton Restaurant for nonpayment of sales and franchise tax
- Judge rules Texas school finance system unconstitutional
- Up to 5 inches of rain possible in isolated spots between today and Sunday morning
- Virtual kidnappers use fear, intimidation to pressure victims into wiring money
- Former Crystal Beach fire chief David Loop indicted
- Football fans now paying for parking at BISD's Thomas Center
- Lexy Bertrand's mother speaks after Kelvin Roy's murder sentencing
- Beaumont police see spike in copper theft
- BISD embezzlement case suspect pleads not guilty in court
- Mosquitoes test positive for West Nile at South 11th and Corley in Beaumont
- Entergy says lower electric bills coming
- Law enforcement cracking down on DWIs this holiday weekend
- Kelvin Roy sentenced to 75 years in prison following crash that killed Vidor teen
- Local reaction to child fatally shooting a gun range instructor
- FEMA meeting to discuss Bridge City flood map appeal
- Jury finds Kelvin Roy guilty of murder
- New Beaumont HEB store on hold
- Beaumont city council make cuts to create surplus
- Beaumont police search for Dollar General thief
- UPDATE: Rose City water back on; but continue boiling water
- Ask the Attorney: Aug. 27, 2014
- Sixty percent chance of rain
- Rose City boil water notice
- BISD board adopts budget; allows superintendent to hire teachers without approval
- BISD enrollment now up since first day of school
- Murder trial for man charged with killing Vidor teen in crash
- Veteran K-9 retires after nearly a decade on the job
- Local judge sentences man to prison for his part in murder
- Murder trial for Beaumont man accused of killing Vidor teen in crash
- Have you seen this SETX register sex offender?
- Sixty percent chance of rain this weekend across parts of SETX
- Texas sex offender registry app available
- Click here for National Town Hall on tensions in Ferguson, Mo., after officer shoots and kills teen
- BISD enrollment down on the first day; that could change
- BISD releases preliminary enrollment numbers; down 504 students
- Commissioners approve plans for developer to build multi-sports training facility at Ford Park
- BISD Board of managers consider eliminating Lucas busing
- Trial date set for former BISD employees accused of embezzling money
- Workers tear down Castle Motel
- Woman run over on I-10 service road near the KFDM and Fox 4 News building expected to recover
- Deputies search for man suspected of trying to steal camper while owner was inside
- PAISD students return to school
- Tracking tropical cyclone Cristobol
- Divers train to recover sunken vehicles
- I-10 auto-pedestrian accident seriously injures woman
- Fox 4 gets exclusive video of Crystal Boyett during court arraignment Friday
- Troopers warn drivers before school starts
- Tyrrell Park drainage project nearly finished
- Fox 4 learns Crystal Boyett in Hardin County Jail after surrendering Thursday night
- Nederland man convicted in Orange County drug conspiracy
- Meth bust in Orange County
- Former Chambers County deputy, suspended jailer both arrested
- Update on area of low pressure in Caribbean
- Chester Jourdan to head Red Cross in Southeast Texas
- BISD Superintendent doesn't expect enough teachers Monday
- BISD teachers get free school supplies from students
- Lumberton sisters remembered as Kirbyville woman indicted in fatal crash
- Local vigil held for Michael Brown, Missouri teen killed by an officer
- More ashes found at former Fort Worth mortuary; owners are from Beaumont
- Orange County's expected budget deficit down from $3 million to half a million
- Fox 4 learns Crystal Boyett indicted for crash that killed Lumberton sisters & unborn child
- Orange County deputies: cocaine & pills found in vehicle
- Update on area of disturbed weather
- Local gas prices continue to drop
- BISD police officer under investigation and on leave
- Jury convicts Beaumont man on burglary charge
- Veterans train to fight child exploitation
- Developer plans gated community in Groves
- Pistol Packing Pastor pleads enters plea in marijuana case
- Gov. Perry enters plea
- Students prepare for school supply donations to BISD teachers
- Beaumont EMS vehicle and car collide
- Dr. Augustine to lead BISD Human Resources Department
- Football player gets helmet sensors to monitor hits to prevent concussions
- Ask the Attorney: Aug. 20, 2014
- Keyarika Diggles jailed again, accused of using stolen credit card to pay court fines
- Lamar State College honor graduates
- Low pressure in Atlantic could bring thunderstorms
- State fire marshal investigating Jasper fire
- One out of five college women victim of sexual assault
- Injured Winnie teen determined to walk again
- After March fire, HFISD Elementary ready for new school year
- Gov. Rick Perry went for ice cream after booking at jail
- K9 dogs test for national recognition
- Gov. Rick Perry booked into Travis County jail
- Gov. Rick Perry to surrender
- One person missing after boat overturned; three rescued
- America's Next Top Model contestant Will Jardell from Nederland survived the cut
- Civil Rights groups call for openess in Brown case
- St. Louis officers kill knife-wielding Missouri man
- Another Beaumont vacant house arson; 11th arson case in August
- Ford Park maintenance management questioned
Jury finds Kelvin Roy guilty of murder
Updated: Thursday, August 28 2014, 01:14 AM CDT
ORANGE - A jury has convicted Kelvin Roy of murdering a Vidor teenager -- 16-year-old Lexi Bertrand -- after crashing into her family's vehicle.
Fox 4's Haley Bull is covering the trial of Kelvin Roy. Stay with Fox 4 News and fox4beaumont.com for updates.
The jury in Judge Dennis Powell's courtroom began deliberating at about 2:15 p.m. Wednesday and returned with the guilty verdict shortly before 4:45 p.m. The judge told the crowd there should be on outbursts. There were gasps and cries from the audience when the verdict was announced.
Roy, 32, could receive up to a life sentence. The punishment phase is tentatively set to begin at 9 a.m. Thursday.
The trial began Monday in Judge Dennis Powell's court.
Roy was convicted of murder in the death of Alexandria Bertrand, 16, known as Lexy to her family and friends. She was a student at Vidor High School.
The teen died following a collision February 7 on Old Highway 90 in Vidor. Investigators say Kelvin Roy crashed into a van driven by the teen's mother. Bertrand died at a hospital the following day.
Prosecutors say Roy deliberately drove into the van while high on drugs. His girlfriend was in the car with him when he left Beaumont and got onto the Interstate. She says he never tried to stop when he crashed into the van. Roy's attorney says his client didn't intend to crash into the van.
During closing arguments, prosecutors showed a picture of Lexy smiling and then showed the jury an autopsy picture. There were gasps and tears.
The prosecutor said, "this case is about Lexy Bertrand, this beautiful, 16 year old girl, a big sister to three young brothers."
The prosecutor showed a picture of an identification bracelet around Bertrand's ankle and said, "this band around her ankle is the last piece of jewelry Lexy will ever receive or wear. There won't be a senior ring. There won't be a wedding ring. There won't be a locket that had maybe a lock of her child's hair in it. This is it."
Here is a summary of closing arguments and reporting from Haley via Twitter (from most recent to earliest):
Roy's handcuffs are back on as he is taken out of the courtroom during the recess.
Arguments are finished. Jury deliberations are starting.
Prosecutor: "the loss to Lexy's family and the community cannot be restored."
Roy appears neutral throughout the arguments.
Prosecutor tells jurors voluntary intoxication is not a defense.
Prosecutor says about Roy's testimony: "that's not what happened... That's not what the evidence shows in this case, not at all."
Prosecutor asks jury about Brown: "what reason does she have to lie? Really? She doesn't."
State making final argument.
"... There's no way he intended to hurt anybody."
He says "a murder indictment doesn't fit these facts. It's a manslaughter case clear and simple"..
Attorney: "if this was less tragic I believe it would have been charged as manslaughter."
Attorney says jury will have to decide between Roy and Brown's story, "would you invest with her? I wouldn't feel comfortable."
Attorney said "there really wasn't much an investigation done", that state is asking jury to believe intoxicated woman
Attorney about Roy: "I'm not trying to say he's innocent..." Goes on to say but "the intent to murder doesn't add up."
Attorney says about Brown: "the greater fact is the inconsistency, someone going back and forth on this can't be trusted."
Attorney says medical records and notes do not show Brown mentioning Roy tried to kill her.
Attorney shows Brown's record from the emergency room, showing intoxication, claiming that contradicts her statements to jury.
Attorney says all of the sudden she's involved in a huge wreck and thinks "I need to get out of this situation."
Attorney argues Brown had a reason to lie.
Attorney: "all the evidence they had supported intoxication and not intent", toxicology reports showed clear evidence of drinking and drugs."
Attorney: "the evidence is overwhelming for intoxication."
Attorney says Brown's testimony was only one for intent.
Asks jury to "ignore the emotional onslaught" prosecutors showed, says it was added for shock value.
And the consequences are what they are."
Prosecutor: "basically what he did was he might have strapped a parachute to his back, stepped out of a plane..."
Talking about Roy's drug use, prosecutor says "picking up that PCP cigarette was a choice the defendant made."
Prosecutor tells jury witness accounts contradict Roy's statements, asks where was the man he was going to pay during the case?
Prosecutor quotes a witness, saying Brown told the witness after the impact "he's trying to kill us.
Prosecutor is summarizing witness testimony on hearing the acceleration right before the crash.
Prosecutor says Brown is "no shining nickle"... But "that's his association, that's his girlfriend."
".. There won't be a locket that had maybe a lock of her child's hair in it, this is it."
"Is the last piece of jewelry that Lexy will ever receive or wear. There won't be a senior ring, there won't be a wedding ring."
Showing picture of identification bracelet around Bertrand's ankle, prosecutor says: "This band around her ankle..."
Prosecutor shows a picture of a smiling Bertrand to the jury, followed by an autopsy photo. Gasps and years from audience follow.
Prosecutor: "this case is about Lexy Bertrand, this beautiful, 16 year old girl, a big sister to three young brothers."
Prosecutor: "Lexy is a victim of the defendant's intended consequences."
State starting closing arguments.
And if the act caused Bertrand's death.
The jury will consider if Roy intentionally tried to injure Brown, if Roy intentionally drove the vehicle into another...
And committing an act, running his vehicle into another, causing the death of Lexy Bertrand.\Judge is explaining to the jury the charge. Roy's accused of intending to cause serious bodily injury to Taralynn Brown, his girlfriend.
Trial is back underway. Roy is charged with murder, he pleads not guilty