KBTV FOX 4 - Search Results
Hamshire-Fannett bonfire set ablaze by rivals day before homecoming
It's an annual tradition that almost didn't happen.
The Hamshire - Fannett bonfire was set ablaze around 10 last night a full day before students were to rally for their homecoming week.
Firefighters were called to the school last night for an explosion.
The fire chief says the people who started the fire poured gasoline on it which caused an explosion that rattled windows in nearby homes.
Witnesses say they saw a truck speeding away from the scene and a gas can was left at the scene.
Police believe the fire was lit by students of rival high school East Chambers.
The bonfire was rebuilt. The Hamshire-Fannett superintendent says it's three times bigger than it was before.
The East Chambers superintendent, Scott Campbell, apologized to Hamshire-Fannett and said it was students acting on their own -- not representing the school or the football team.